How do I enroll my child at LCMS?

SCPS Enrollment is available online on the SCPS Website

I want to change one of my child’s classes. How can I get a schedule change?

 Due to class size restrictions and the complexities of the master schedule, we are unable to do any more schedule changes at this time. This includes schedule changes for the second semester, as the schedule for the entire year has already been completed and fixed.

What high school will my 8th grader be attending next year?

To find out which is the zoned high school for your student, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Zone Search page

How do I set up a conference with my child’s teacher?

To set up a parent/teacher conference, please fill out the Conference Request Form and provide the names of the persons you would like present at the conference. Parent/Teacher conferences are scheduled for Tuesdays or Thursdays at 8:40 & 9 am.

How do I get Skyward access?

To receive Skyward access please fill out the Family Access form. Please bring the completed form along with your photo ID, as we are only able to provide access to parents/guardians with custody. We will then send you your Skyward username and password.

I already received Skyward access but am having trouble logging in.

If you are unable to log in to Skyward, it might be necessary to reset your password. Please come by the front office as soon as you are able to and we will reset the password for you. Please remember to bring photo ID.

What do I do if my child is absent?

If your child is absent, please bring in a written excuse or doctor’s note within 5 days of the student's return. Please have your child turn in all absence notes to their first period teacher. Once a student accumulates 10 unexcused absences, a truancy meeting will be set up with the school social worker, so please be sure to keep track of your students’ absences and deliver excuses in a timely manner. Please make sure that your child requests any make-up work they missed from his/her teachers. Notes can also be emailed to: [email protected]

My child will be out for several days. How can I pick up his/her make up work?

Please contact the teachers to request your child’s make-up work for the days that s/he missed. Please allow teachers 24 hours to provide this for you. Make-up work can be collected at the front office.

Where does my child catch the bus?

To find your child’s bus stop, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Bus Stop Search page or call (407) 320-7521 to contact the Routing Department.

I want my child to attend a different school. What are my options?

Please visit the Student Assignment & Program Access department website to learn more about transfer and magnet school options, requirements, and procedures.

Our family is moving and my child will be attending a different school.

If your child will no longer be at Lawton Chiles Middle School, please make sure to come by the front office and withdraw him/her as well as turn in any books your child may have received from the school. You will then receive all the necessary paperwork to enroll your student at their next school.

My child is struggling in class. What can I do?

If your child is struggling, please contact the teacher as soon as possible to discuss the situation. You can contact the teacher using Skyward or phone list posted on our website. You may also want to schedule a parent/teacher conference by completing the Conference Request Form.

How do I help my child decide between standard or advanced courses?

Students who are on grade level should be taking Advanced courses. Standard courses are generally for those who need additional support in that subject area. 

What are the various levels of difficulty for each course?

There are 3 levels of difficulty usually offered for the core courses: Standard, Advanced, and Gifted. The Advanced level is appropriate for motivated students who have done well in a certain subject and would like to challenge themselves. Advanced level courses should be the choice for students who score a 3 or better on FAST. These students should be willing to put in extra time for homework and studying. The Gifted level is the most challenging level and only available to students who have already been admitted into the Gifted program.

How do I fill out a free / reduced lunch application?

You may find the Meal Benefits Application at https://diningservices.scps.us/apply_for_benefits

Our family is struggling financially and we need help. Where can we go?

The Seminole County Public Schools Families In Need (FIN) department can help struggling families in many different areas. Please contact the FIT department by calling (407) 746-8518 or visiting the FIN website.

When will students be registering for the upcoming school year?

The registration process for the following school year usually begins in January. It is during this month that students will begin receiving registration information and materials.

My child is being picked on. What should I do?

If you feel your child is being picked on, self advocacy is very empowering. Review the Power Behaviors included in the school planner and assist your child in finding a solution that might help solve the problem. Should your child continue to have issues with a particular child, this could be a Bullying issue and should be immediately brought to the attention of Mrs. Velazquez or Dr. Bidges the SAMs over Discipline:

Mrs. Velazquez - 6th gr Disicpline - [email protected] - 407-871-7013

Dr. Bridges - 7th & 8th gr Disicpline - [email protected] - 407-871-7037

If the situation is happening in a particular class, please contact the classroom teacher as well.

I’m not receiving any materials from the school in the mail.

If you have not been receiving any materials from the school, it is possible that the address and email on file is out of date. Please call the front office at (407) 871-7050 to verify that the address on file is correct. If the address is incorrect, please bring copies of 3 proofs of residence for your current address so that we can update the information in the system to ensure that you remain up to date on the latest events concerning your student.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.